Tiguan 2.0 Turbo vein problem

17xande
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 10 months

Tiguan 2.0 Turbo vein problem

Post by 17xande »

Hi everyone,

I've got a 2010 Tiguan 2.0 TDI with 200 000km. It's been reliable and has never given me any engine issues until last week.

Warnings started coming up, and the car is regularly going into limp mode. A diagnostic revealed 2 issues:
1. Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit:Range/Performance
2. Turbo/Super Charger Underboost.

I've had it looked at, and it's been confirmed that there are no Boost pipe leaks/cracks, and the mechanics have narrowed it down to the turbo. They believe it's the variable veins or actuator getting stuck.

I've been quoted R25k to fix, though they said it could be a bit cheaper, but they'll only know once they've opened it up.
Is that a reasonable price for this fix? And does anyone know a reputable mechanic that knows how to do this well?

UPDATE:
I've been told that it will be better to get a new turbo because of the mileage. Chances are that if it's fixed, it will start breaking again relatively soon because of its age.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Re: Tiguan 2.0 Turbo vein problem

Post by Ashveer03 »

Might as well get a mechanic to strip out the turbo, send it along with the actuator to Fastec turbochargers in jhb.

Gaby is the best in the business.
They can overhaul the entire turbo if required, and it will definitely be much much cheaper than R25k. Electronic turbo actuators can be abit pricey though, they can test it and replace if required.

Sent from my CPH2371 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
17xande
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 10 months

Re: Tiguan 2.0 Turbo vein problem

Post by 17xande »

Thanks for the tip!
Will give them a call tomorrow.